Old Dutch Vinegar & Mustard
In 1941, Karlo Sancer-Santich came to New York City from Yugoslavia. He bought the Old Dutch business and operated for many years from a five-story brick building at 80 Metropolitan Avenue in Brooklyn New York. During this time, Brooklyn was known as a manufacturing capital of the world.
This street-level image shows the face of the building which opens to the northeast. The company name runs along the top of the building (upper right) and loading space for trucks is visible (lower left)
This aerial image is looking southwest. The plant is in the center foreground, with its sixth-story tower and a water tank behind it. The Williamsburg Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, and Brooklyn Bridge are in the background crossing the East River.
As a prominent business person, Karlo’s death was covered in the New York Times. Born in 1895 and having earned degrees in mechanical engineering and chemical engineering, Karlo worked in the design and construction of flour and textile mills, owned an iron works company, and was a director at other corporations. After his death, the company went through transitions, and continued to build the business.
Expanded operations with the purchase of a facility in New Hampshire that produced fruit juices, vinegar and mustard.
At a young age, Charlie Santich, son of Paul, visited the Old Dutch production facility.
Charlie saw construction and expansion of the business that his father operated.
Consolidated operations to the New Hampshire location.
The company had a major fire. Through the rebuilding process, none of the employees were let go. Afterward, the rebuilt plant and warehouse included upgraded facility services.
A tree farm continues to be planted on the property.
Old Dutch maintains the tree farm as a way to show care for the environment.
Quality is still key and capabilities continue to grow with service across packs, platforms and customers.